Wednesday, February 5, 2014

IWSG February 2014

The Insecure Writers Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh, who incidentally has his CassaFire for 99 cents this week.  It's the second book in the trilogy.

Anyway, believe it or not, but I hate shilling for fellow bloggers.  I hate a lot of things.  Hopefully I like more.  But in some circles, hating things can be bad.  It's bad among bloggers.  It's especially bad among bloggers who are also writers.  Because those bloggers want to sell books.  And to be a part of the blogging community, you have to play nice.  And to play nice, you have to shill.

And I hate shilling.  If I am being completely honest, I would probably very likely never in a million years actively want to read a book written by a blogger.  (The obvious exception is MOV.)  This is not to say bloggers can't write good books.  But I find it unlikely that there will ever be a lot of great writers among bloggers.  And not to sound elitist, but I kind of like great writers.

I like great writers because I want the stories I read to be about more than the act of reading.  I'm not saying that bloggers are only capable of doing that, but when you're not a great writer, what else are you?  You're just some person writing a story.

I actually read Cavanaugh's third book of the trilogy, CassaStorm, and gave it a pretty good review.  I was probably the only one to have a lot of negative comments (or as we sometimes call them, pieces of constructive criticism) in my review.  Bloggers are seldom very critical in their reviews of fellow bloggers.  They somehow love every book by their fellow bloggers.  Just as if they are reading great writers.

Maybe their point is that not every book has to be a great book in order to be enjoyed.  And that is a valid point.  Last year, though, I read more blogger books than I would have otherwise, thanks to those darn Goodreads giveaway entries that of course do not at all disclose that some of them (a lot of them?) are blogger books.  Not all books actually by bloggers, but blogger books all the same.

As in, not great writers.

And I like to read books that are clearly not by great writers, too.  Sometimes it's good to do that.  These books are also enjoyable.  But there is a clear difference.

I hate shilling, basically, because when I write a review, I can't help but make that difference.  And bloggers hate that difference being pointed out.  They are either convinced that they are great writers, or they simply don't care.  And I do.

So the point of this insecurity is that I can't help but alienate myself, which is bad when you are trying to have a public forum where most of the readers end up being fellow bloggers.  Who want you to shill their books.  I can't stand it.  I don't want to feel so frustrated, that I must chuck the whole concept, just because I have a tendency to alienate myself, go against the grain.  People hate people who go against the grain.  Even the nonconformists.  Either play by the rules or fake the smile and play nice.  Even when there are things that are so glaringly wrong going on.

So I did the thing that must be done at the start of this post.  And sabotaged it all to Helena, MT.  Because that's what I do.  I'm sorry.

14 comments:

  1. That's called a rock and a hard place, isn't it?
    I don't remember a lot of negative. You enjoyed it, pointed out some areas where I could improve, and it was all good.
    Thanks for mentioning my second book being on sale. Even if you hate shilling.
    I just feel bad when I read a blogger buddy's book and really don't like it. I usually don't finish reading and never review it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a much wiser option, considering.

      Delete
  2. This is SO interesting. Indeed. I think I understand you. Like Alex, if I read a book I don't like, I usually don't finish it. Of course I don't review it either. Play nice would mean for me follow the wise man advice "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything." UNLESS, I'm specifically required to read it and give an honest review. Then by all means, that person will get what he/she asked for. I'll read it to the end, even if I don't like it and I'll speak my mind after that, clear and to the point. If I didn't like it, then I'll say it and why. Don't ever ask honesty of a dragon and expect sugar coated politeness instead.
    I do believe however, there might be great writers among bloggers. Not the general rule, but not ruled out either. I also believe you don't "have to" do anything. If you want to shill, you do so, if you don't, then you don't. I hate feeling I "have to" do anything. It just gets me in a bad mood.
    There is irony and contradiction in your insecurity, (as in most of mine). You are writer and blogger yourself. I assume you aim to become a great writer. You need to solve quite a puzzle, indeed.
    I must add there are people who still appreciate honest reviews, with constructive criticism. Even if they are not "Oh, I absolutely adored your book, your characters, your settings, you're a genius and this is like the best story I've ever read" kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste well with peanut butter!

      Delete
  3. I prefer people who say what they mean and mean what they say. I'd rather have someone tell me my writing sucks (in a nice way) than someone be all, "Hey, I just love this!" when they really disliked it. An honest and fair review should be done to help the writer grow. I say that now, but I finally get my book published, I'll feel the exact opposite.

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall you gave it 4 stars, which brings to mind when you were criticizing my Wonder Woman review for being negative despite that I gave it 4 stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which I did because the majority of your review was made up of negative comments.

      Delete
  5. Self - promotion is a tricky road to walk on Tony. Too much and you look conceited and self-absorbed. Too little and you look like you lack self-confidence. I've seen blogs on both ends of the spectrum so I understand the challenge. As for being negative I don't think of you that way because you love so many things others hate (ex. Superman IV). You just have strong opinions which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was also about something completely different that I was trying to process (also blog-related).

      Delete
  6. Honesty is important when giving feedback to an author. If I'm reading a book and I don't like it, then I just don't finish it.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the number of commenters who have said this give the feedback based on what they read (when I don't finish reading something, I at least skim the rest of it), so that their observations on why the book was a failure in their eyes may still be noted. To avoid negative comments in this way seems like something of a cheat.

      Delete
  7. Great points. I like to say what I mean, and mean what I say. That being said, I haven't reviewed a lot of stuff on my blog, but I plan on continuing to grow and express myself in that way. Whether I like what read/view or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read at least one book a month, you can replace me in the Cephalopod Coffeehouse.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...