Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Farewell to the Warrior

The exact timing of her passing is unclear. My sister and her family headed out late Thursday night and didn’t return home until late Sunday. They found her dead.

Boo showed up in my life in late 2004, and by the next year was already turning up in my fiction. I have this long series of stories that rewrite the same basic premise involving a boy and a dog. I inserted her into the second version, which can be found in Monorama, the collection I put out when I started this blog in 2012. And this way and that, she would leave a trail in my work just as surely as she shed copious amounts of her white fur.

The last time she appeared was actually last year’s George & Gracie, where she makes a random cameo, straddling the real and dream worlds.

She had been losing worrisome amounts of weight over the past year. The problem was curtailed once, but it resurfaced. She was indeed an old kitty, but when I last lived with her two years ago she was still doing quite well. She didn’t quite have her old spring, but she was very much herself. At that point she would regularly cuddle beside me. She was never really a lap kind of cat, but she always knew how to have her people time. Sometimes she would demand affection. I guess maybe that will be one of my happiest memories.

Well, pretty much all of my time with her. She was the best. She’ll always be with me, and she will always be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...