Friday, November 2, 2018

Crisis Weekly...week three!

The third installment of Crisis Weekly is up. Find it here.

This week was a little bit of a departure narratively.  It's the story of a school shooting.  No bats, no mention of White Martians.  As school shootings go, I figured it was worth introducing the topic on its own.

Obviously these things have been happening.  The first time I remember one was back in 1999 with Columbine.  We talked about it at track practice.  The Matrix had opened, and people wanted to blame Neo and company for looking all swank while they shot up buildings.  But we know school shootings don't happen because of The MatrixThe Matrix isn't cool anymore, and yet the shootings keep happening.

So I decided to include it in this story.  Yes, it's also the third crisis in a row in a series with "crisis" in the name, and a DC story, where "crisis" tends to be the operative word.  But this one seems like one of the worst crises of the modern era, and everyone has an explanation, even today, for why they keep happening.

All I knew is that I had to write about it.  I processed Katrina like that, in the unpublished manuscript In the Land of Pangaea.  And I'll probably process the recent Hurricane Michael.  I have friends who were personally impacted by that one, and I have experience in the area affected by it, and it's still weird to think about that.  Writers process by writing.  It's what we do. 

This will probably be the toughest week to read.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...