Saturday, August 10, 2019

I swear I'm going to write something soon...

Earlier this year (you'll recall I yammered on and on about it) I completed a fairly lengthy writing project.  It always seems after I've finished something like that it takes a while to start another one.  I've got plenty of stuff I want to write, which is certainly not the issue.  I just haven't gotten around to start writing any of it.  The likeliest suspect is the annual family Christmas poem (which isn't really a long project), for when I finally start up again.  And hopefully I can bother to actually submit stuff, too, which is a horrible thing for a writer to admit. 

So that's sort of what's happening, when there isn't really...anything actually happening.

And maybe when I am writing something again, I'll start yammering about it here again.  Because that was kind of fun, and it certainly kept things lively.

Oh!  Here's something:  Last weekend I went to the Tampa Comic Con, for the second year in a row, with a satchel full of my books, in case I was brave enough to actually do something with them.  Last year: nothing.  This year?  I gave a book away!  Yeah!  I also met Peter David, who was a big element of my '90s reading life (even though I sort of hated him for the next decade or so), and bought a book from him.  But I gave a book away!  (Sapo Saga, for the record, which went over so well in the virtual book tour earlier this year.) 

I hope at some point to have a publisher who'll set me up at a table at things like this, in the future.  It'd be fun.  I would vow not to spend all my time staring at a phone while my assistant does all the work.  And I would probably succeed at that.  Maybe for the first few such appearances.  Maybe it's the best way to pass the time.  But Peter David was pretty lively, which is doubly good because he had a terrible healthscare a few years back.  So I resolve to be more like Peter David!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read tons of Peter David's comics but I did really like his New Frontier Star Trek series. Maybe at some point CBS All Access could make that into a TV show.

    Anyway, good that you gave a book away. Hopefully someday you'll be able to sell them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the New Frontier books I burned out on, ironically.

      Delete
    2. At that point I was pretty much only reading the New Frontier books as far as Star Trek went, and I just got tired of reading them. It was the point where Star Trek books, for me, became less about enjoying the overall Star Trek experience and realizing that the books had turned into a whole separate thing. I probably would've been fine if they'd been sort of a self-contained trilogy or something, like the initial Timothy Zahn Thrawn saga with Star Wars (which of course has turned into an endless sequence of books over the years), but that's not the way it played out. But I was really just ready to move on in general with what I spent my time reading. It was a real turning point in general. That's pretty much when I turned to Melville. And got into Harry Potter, now that I think of it.

      Delete
  2. Did you speak with Timothy Zahn? I heard he was also there. Did you give the book to Peter David then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was there, too. I gave my book to a couple who sat down at the same table I was eating at in the lobby.

      Delete
  3. BTW, last night I watched the new Hellboy on DVD. At the beginning of the movie a Mexican wrestler turns into a Man-Bat. The writers must have read Crisis Weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably! I'll catch it at some point, if only because it's directed by Neil Marshall. Doomsday remains a favorite.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...