Wednesday, October 7, 2020

IWSG October 2020

 This was the first Wednesday of October, which meant that I definitely did not need the Insecure Writers Support Group Facebook page to remind me that it’s that day where we blog...

Nope! That’s definitely not what happened!

(In my defense, I skipped...many, many months of membership duties. I was dropped from the rolls an’ everything.)

Anyway, we have a question to answer, as always:

What does the term “working writer” mean to you?

I can only interpret it as a writer, such as myself, who has a job and writes in their spare time, so that being a writer is not the title they use for tax purposes.

And I have been doing that for many, many years.

At this point I actually have a job that feels like it’s a productive use of my time, that people see me as some benefit other than as an anonymous face. I mean I don’t need my ego involved, but it’s nice. It just feels less like a job, sometimes, this way.

But strangely, sometimes I wonder if actual job fulfillment could get in the way of being productive as a writer. I worked on a lot of things over the past year, including the “bonus pandemic time,” but I wonder if it’s comparable to what I might have accomplished if I were working a less satisfying job. I know, it sounds crazy! Not being overly miserable at work is a bad thing??? I wrote all of my manuscripts (except one, which was during my first experience of unemployment, and then others that weren’t book-length so I’m not counting them) while working versions of soul-crushing jobs. It almost felt necessary!

And yes, it still sounds crazy. Maybe that’s just what I told myself, and what I’m continuing to tell myself. Maybe this is continued fallout from giving myself a little time before truly breaking in the new computer (I plan to get some work done over the three-day weekend, I swear!), I don’t know. Maybe!

I’ve certainly written some interesting things in the two years I’ve been at this job. I’ve written extended comic book scripting projects for the first time ever, for instance. I even spun off one of them some original ideas (because both were based on existing DC or Marvel concepts), and maybe I could work on that next, if I felt like doing that again. And besides, I feel like I’m getting closer to writing new manuscripts. I plan to write a novella for the rewrite Christmas package for my niece (there’s only one element from the previous one I want to revisit, riffing on something she was singing while MASTERING RIDING A BIKE AT ABOUT FIVE YEARS OLD) (not that I’m bragging for her) (and to be clear, a two-wheel, no training wheels bicycle).

So that’s what “working writer” means to me. Complicated. But interesting.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you. If you're working at being the best writer you can be, you're a writer even if it isn't your fulltime job. And I believe it is harder to write when you're fulfilled in your other pursuits. Writing fills that space when nothing else does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not crazy - makes sense. When we are comfortable, we are less motivated to change things or stretch out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do a sequel to Crisis Weekly with even more Man Bats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!

      PAGE ONE

      Panel 1 (splash)
      Mam-bats. Millions of Man-bats.

      Delete
    2. PRESIDENT OF ANTARCTICA (BARRY): I realize that no one could have foreseen this.

      PRESIDENT OF THE ARCTIC (SUSIE): That’s not remotely true.

      SUSIE: I saw it coming.

      BARRY: All the same. We’re Man-bats, too, now.

      BARRY: Same as everyone else.

      SUSIE: But I will agree to acknowledge that this is a pretty weird situation.

      BARRY: No, it was a weird situation when the Martians took over and stipulated all cars have to be disc-shaped but otherwise had no oppressive demands on the world population.

      SUSIE: Except, y’know, the obviously oppressive atmospheric conditions they imposed on everyone.

      BARRY: What, the red sand?

      SUSIE: I keep telling you.

      SUSIE: It gets everywhere.

      SUSIE: Everywhere, Barry.

      SUSIE: Everywhere.

      BARRY: Well, at least it can’t get any worse.

      CAPTION: It immediately got worse.

      CAPTION: And not a single attempt to explain to the readers of the script what was actually happening in the scene.

      Delete
  4. There is a lot in what you say. Writing for me comes from different places but usually if there is pressure and some discontent it seems like there's more to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s why the internet always has something to say. Because we are so good about finding exactly that. After all, the internet does not fill itself.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...