Saturday, October 2, 2021

Nine Panel Grid begins

 Nine Panel Grid is my next Kindle Vella project.  It's kind of complicated.

As you might know from following my work in recent years, I've been doing a lot of comic book script writing.  Not because I've been hired by a comic book publisher or am getting the scripts illustrated, but to gain experience in doing the work.  Originally, Nine Panel Grid was going to be another one of those.

I kind of figured if Kindle Vella readers had any patience at all for my work, they probably were never going to indulge something like that.  So I developed a different approach.  This one follows three separate tracks on a fictional comic book issue: the story in the comics, the story of the art, and the history of the comic.  

Nine Panel Grid draws from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen and Jack Kirby's New Gods.  To this point I don't think there's been a ton of overlap between appreciation of the two, but it's what interested me.  The title of my story draws on Watchmen's style, nine panels in a grid format on a page.  In recent years Tom King has been using the format pretty heavily, so I figured it was well-known enough to use as a term and the title of a story.

Again, there will be no art.  The conceit of the whole thing requires the reader to imagine the art for themselves, so I had to at least visualize for myself what the art would look like, so I could write it up for the story.

I have no idea if there's even remotely an audience for this, let alone on Kindle Vella.  It interests me.  What can I say?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...