Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Not-the-Tonys 2024

Gosh, I’m not very good at keeping these up, but let’s go ahead and have a brief look at what my favorite things from 2023 were…

Movies

This one’s pretty easy. Like a lot of critics (for a change!), my pick is Oppenheimer. I’ve been a huge fan of Christopher Nolan since Memento, and so have followed his career eagerly ever since. This is clearly a career high (and as a big fan this is an amazing statement).

Before seeing Oppenheimer last summer my answer would’ve been Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant, which I still highly recommend. Other highlights from the year include Napoleon, Asteroid City, The Creator. It was a good year for movies.

Books

My favorite new book of the year was J.K. Rowling’s seventh Robert Galbraith Strike/Ellacott mystery The Running Grave. Favorite read in general was Milton’s Paradise Lost, favorite graphic novel Lemire, Kindt & Rubin’s Cosmic Detective, and taking a stab at a monthly comic probably Tom King’s Human Target, which finished last spring.

Music 

Gosh, I’m gonna give this one to The National, who I finally got into last year after discovering them at the end of Warrior back in 2011. The Beatles released “Now and Then” at the end of the year, Darius Rucker dropped a new album.

TV

I haven’t been exploring a lot of new things since the streaming era took over, so it was a lot of just continuing favorites like various Star Treks, YellowstoneGhosts, Survivor, even a revival of Frasier. Did get to see The Mandalorian and Sandman at the very end of the year thanks to physical releases.

Writing Projects

I tackled exactly two projects last year, In the Leviathan and Liz & Pepe. Both were well worth the efforts. Did a lot of prep work for other things, and I’m really, really close to starting up again. 

Favorite Family Time

The two visits with my niece and the rest of her clan! Obviously! The highlights of the year!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...