Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG November 2014: My Insane NaNoWriMo Approach This Year!

For this month's Insecure Writers Support Group post, like more than a few others I'm actually going to discuss NaNoWriMo a little.

National Novel Writing Month is the insane time of the year when you get to learn exactly what kind of writer you really are by powering through 50,000 words in a thirty-day span.  This was something I officially tackled in 2004-2006, which led to The Cloak of Shrouded Men, my first book , and unofficially been completing while writing various other books starting in 2009, including last year when I started on In the Land of Pangaea, which I wrote about here at the time and apparently that helped inspire Michael Abayomi this year, which is pretty cool.

This year I'm being totally insane.  Back in 2011 I managed to write chapters of The Whole Bloody Affair (also known as the Yoshimi Trilogy) in 10,000-word increments.  The idea, if it is at all possible in reality, is to try and nearly double that, with 18,000 words with each chapter as I tackle The Pond War, my War of 1812 tale that's a mash-up with the Tim Laflamme character originally introduced in Land of Pangaea.  It's my bid at Alice in Wonderland and every other story like it (Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, etc. etc. etc.), except the fantasy will actually be in the real world and brutal reality through the door to the other side.

Why am I writing, or attempting to write so many words each day?  Because I figured out I could when I needed to write a lot of words last year.  Whole Bloody Affair was training ground.  The more experience I have writing, the more I'm aware of what I'm comfortable writing, and Pond War is something I've been developing, or in other words thinking about, for much of this year.  I'm feeling confident.  Ridiculously overconfident?

We'll see!

10 comments:

  1. You're writing 18,000 words a day? Did I read that right? Holy crap! Go, man, go. Would take me over a week to write that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your exploits are forever an inspiration, Tony, especially your confidence. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to set a word count goal per day. Sounds like you're committed enough to exceed the 50k. Good luck Dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have wimpy, minimum word count goals. I have supersized those goals. Eventually, 50k in a day!

      Delete
  4. Best of luck. Only you could come up with such a goal and Actually make it, because we know you're that stubborn. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...