Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A Journal of the Pandemic #10

Just want to put a small spotlight on Marvel Girl: Like A Phoenix, a new comics script adventure I’m writing here. I’m officially halfway through. Obviously I’m not writing about it here like I did the last one, partly because it’s literally just a script page a day, and partly because most of what I’ve been writing on this blog lately is pandemic thoughts.

Speaking of which, I did indeed return to work last week. Worked every day, had a checkpoint with questions concerning possible exposure, my temperature taken, and requiring a mask. The mask thing is one of those hot topics. There are people (I can’t guarantee this, but they may be based in major urban populations) who think you’re being suicidally and homicidally reckless if you step outside your home without one. Everyone I worked with last week found their masks to be cumbersome. Probably everyone who’s wearing one these days thinks they are, sure. Who knows how common these things will be in the future. The Chinese have made a habit of it for years. Maybe we’ll see people turning to them instinctively here, too. But my colleagues weren’t just uncomfortable. They’d sneak them off given half a chance. Again, there will be people reading this in abject horror. That’s life now. But so is trying to reintegrate back into normal life. Life is strange now, and it’s not going to be normal again anytime soon. That’s something I’ve been slow to accept.

Work went well. The first day was easiest. We had two kids from our center that first day, and one of them went home within two hours and never came back. Apparently he cut a patch from his hair when he was home. Apparently later he messed up his ankle. There are doubtless many stories like that, kids doing things all day every day whose parents are staring at it with absolute disbelief, and no chance to look away. (Every kid is Kramer.) Previously I talked about this in terms of parenting. Some of our parents have adapted brilliantly to these new challenges, and I love that, and there’s probably a lot of that going around, and of course there will be those who aren’t doing as well, and we’ll hear less about that, or we’ll hear versions that don’t really reflect the reality of what’s happening, because they’re exaggerating or because they don’t want scrutiny on the results.

Anyway, I got to watch a baby who had really only just started with us, a young one, when we were getting ready to temporarily shutter. Seeing him again was weird because I had no real memories of him except circumstances. Turned out he was doing quite well in the month since I’d last seen him. Some challenges, but, certainly with one-on-one care, nothing that was overly difficult, and he could be incredibly lively and amusing! Yesterday we got our second baby back, and this was a cause for some concern, since she was previously known for being perennially upset. And that’s what it seemed she’d be again, but the afternoon was a miracle, and I was able, generally, to balance both of them in reasonable comfort for all involved.

I was supposed to work two days this week, but over the course of yesterday morning it expanded to four. But I’m not as concerned. It will once again be a pleasure to tackle daily baby challenges.

3 comments:

  1. At home, kids are going through all sorts of good and bad.
    Next to no one wears a mask where I work. Over a hundred of us in the building. Fun, huh? I don't wear one at my desk but I do when I have to roam about. I'm pretty sure many of us are developing that herd immunity already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the masks are going to be a part of the reality of life no matter what anyone's opinions are. They don't do much good, though if people don't use them correctly. I've seen customers walk in and remove them like a soldier removes his hat. I've also had customers ask me to leave the aisle I was working in (I and the customers both wearing mask) because they thought I was too close. The ones that crack me up are the people who think they are okay but have it pulled down below their nose or lift it up to talk. My understanding of the Chinese is that their air is so polluted they have to wear a mask anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herb is right about the Chinese wearing masks; their air is some of the most polluted in the world to make all those iPhones and TVs and so on that we buy. I just got a box of 50 masks so if I have to return to work after the 28th I can have something other than the homemade ones my mom made. I don't really want to wear them but then I also don't want to die. People who think it's tough wearing them for a few hours at work, how do you think the doctors and nurses feel who have to wear them all the time because morons can't follow simple instructions and common sense.

    So far your Marvel Girl think isn't very interesting. No action, lame dialogue, and really obvious parallel to the pandemic. Not nearly as good as Crisis Weekly. Maybe the next two weeks will change my mind. Or not.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...