Monday, May 11, 2020

A Journal of the Pandemic #9

Today I worked a few hours for the first time in a month, and it was a breeze. I had finally gotten some masks on Friday, suspecting that they would be required at the childcare center, and of course they were. I know at this point it’s completely normal to see people wearing them, but until today I honestly hadn’t done it myself yet. But coming from Maine, where it’s sometimes quite necessary to wear some kind of facial covering during winter, I had the kind of experience necessary to figure out how to wear the mask and still, y’know, breathe...

Last week I spent more time on Twitter. I know previously I was complaining about Twitter, but the thing about me is that just because I’m complaining about something doesn’t mean I want it to disappear from the face of the earth (I say it this way because I used to work on stories where there were literally “fly nullifiers” in use, which is all the more alarming given my family’s “Floyd the Fly” legacy my niece has recently learned about, and instantly became the subject of my 2020 Christmas poem, the package for which I wrote already and am debating whether I should send ridiculously early, perhaps as part of a general birthday/baby shower/pandemic gift box, as my niece is going to be a big sister in the fall). (I write long parenthetical phrases.) (Just so you know.)

I had finished the longish short story I had been working on last Sunday, and decided to submit it, and a few other stories, and decided to write a few more for, to my Colorado friend’s new anthology, previously detailed as WriteClubCo. Funny enough, but the same movie (The Gentlemen) that I was watching early in the year when I figured out how to write one story ended up inspiring a different story. It’s the movie that keeps on giving!

I looked at another of the poetry collections and started putting it into shape. Potentially libraries will be opening again soon, so this avalanche of material is going to start flowing. Obviously things are starting to open, and that bothers some people and it’s a relief to others, and the two sides see the issue the same way Hulk Hogan’s hair regards his skull.

I started another daily writing project, another comic book script, this time involving Marvel characters rather than DC. This method of writing a single script page at a time is a very relaxing strategy, and I already know pretty much everything I need to know about the story, but little revelations are always occurring to me and improving the results.

I think I used the time away from work well. And hopefully I can keep the momentum going...

3 comments:

  1. The two "sides" to reopening are one side is spouting a bunch of nonsense like "herd immunity" and worrying more about profits than lives. the other side is rational enough to know that when a house is still on fire is not the time to start moving back in. If you're on the first side, I just hope you don't wind up getting it, but plenty of people are going to.

    I just wish I could understand this intractable ignorance of about 40% of the general public. This is not a case of "each side is entitled to its opinion." Your opinion and beliefs don't erase scientific and medical facts. It's still spreading, cases are still rising in most places. It's not safe to leave your house let alone go back to work in close quarters with other people. These are facts, not opinions. Rejecting facts makes you delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that your momentum continues(parenthetical asides aside.) and you keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy!
    We're supposed to wear masks but no one does.
    As my elderly father says, people like him stay home and safe and all the young healthy people can go about their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...