Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Journal of the Pandemic #13

It actually feels wrong to continue this journal, as the pandemic seems to be fading almost completely into the background, somehow, except in matters of slowly reopening things, and flare-ups. A quick thought on the recent flare-ups, though: One of the regions facing this is Florida, where I currently live. Back when all this started a lot of observers expected Florida to be hit heavily, which never really happened. Now that we’re ticking back up, I wonder if it has less to do with reopening measures and more the pandemic reaching here in numbers that just hadn’t happened previously, sort of the way the pandemic hit South America hard & heavy in recent weeks after having previously been virtually nonexistent. All of this suggests, to me anyway, that our response never really took a measured approach, that we went straight to panic, denounced anyone who contradicted this approach, and...But I guess this is the era we live in. I desperately wish there was a mainstream voice of reason, because all we seem to get is kneejerk rubbernecking that doesn’t stop for a moment to consider whether or not it’s remotely helpful. 

Anyway.

At work last week was easy. Two days of light duty at the center that’s closed, cleaning things up a little (there remains the possibility that if we return to full numbers and need to, we will...not actually keep the center closed until it can be renovated). My third and final work day was spending the day with a one-year-old I hadn’t previously had a lot of interaction with. But she was great! It was a good day. This week today was supposed to be my first day of work, but more busywork, but that was called off, and so I’m writing this. 

I’ve been immersed in the transcription process from the second act of In the Land of Pangaea. Honestly, this has been some of the best revision experience I’ve ever had. I know there are writers who do this all the time, but most of my writing has been directly to computer, except in instances where I’ve written passages in a notebook. This is material I really haven’t even looked at in five or so years. I knew this act was the strongest, but didn’t have active memory for most of what I’d actually written, and so I’ve been surprising myself. There’s been some of the material I’ve completely rewritten, and some I’ve tweaked considerably. And again, this is the sort of thing a lot of writers do anyway, as a matter of course. I’ve been getting into legitimate revision with some of my projects in recent years, but this feels like a whole different level. If I had this kind of time previously, and printed works-in-progress, probably this is what I would have been doing all along, especially seeing how it plays out. Always looking to grow.

On Sunday it will be one year since my niece, the Burrito, moved to Texas. It’s weird living a life where I’m not actively devastated by this, because I know intellectually I absolutely am. It helps to be working with kids, even in these current conditions. Losing my niece is second only to gaining her in the first place in terms of significant life developments for me. That’s how important she is, the void she left behind, how much I wish she were still an everyday part of my life, how much I want to be there for her, to help in any manner I can. One year, and this is still only the beginning. What’s it going to be like in five years? Ten years? Will I still be considered important to her? 

The effects of the pandemic are still only in their infant stages. We don’t know, for instance, just how dramatically this will have affected movie theaters. For people like me, who if I had the money would probably see every movie, just...every movie, released in theaters, this is cause for considerable concern. But my niece is a more significant question. That’s where I am, in terms of the pandemic.

3 comments:

  1. I don't really understand these people acting like the pandemic is no big deal. 110,000 people in this country alone are dead! To put that in perspective, you could fill every seat in the largest sports stadiums like "the Big House" in Ann Arbor, Michigan or the football stadium for Texas A&M.

    Or consider that the number who have died is over 30 times the number who died in 9/11 and we've spent trillions of dollars and been embroiled in a forever war for almost 19 years.

    But the difference is that 9/11 was plastered on our TV screens so everyone could see it, whereas COVID-19 is subtle and slow so that it's harder for people's brains to comprehend the damage. Unfortunately there are too many people who are too self-centered to understand things unless it's happening in their circle.

    Maybe we need to be splashing images and videos from COVID-19 wards everywhere so people like you and Alex Cavanaugh might finally get that just because it's not affecting you and those around you doesn't mean it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you don't get to spend time with your niece.
    I think you may be right about Florida. And about the panic. A lot of states did that and the people just let it happen. Of course, the media doesn't want to admit protests have added to the surge. Our state may require masks soon and I'm all right with that if it both slows the spread and keeps our state mostly open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the Burrito. You are in a hard place, having to deal with that. It seems like it would be similar to a grieving process but yet not really the same. I will be thinking about you and praying for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...